Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Family Resemblances

Jodi and Jan in St. Louis
People often tell me that I resemble my mother's Icelandic family.  I didn't think I much resembled Dad's family until I reconnected several years ago with my cousin, Jodi Hendrickson (Cline) who is my dad's youngest brother's daughter.  When Jodi was six Uncle Russ accepted a job in St. Louis and I have seen Jodi once in the past forty-five years.

Although Doug and I have a hard time coming up with positives about Shari and Ryan and baby grandson, Jude, living in Indianapolis, I must say that reconnecting with Jodi is great.  Doug and I so liked Jodi and her husband, Tim, that we invited them to visit us on the boat.  This was Tim's first trip to the Northwest and neither had been to the wilds of Canada to hang out on a boat.  What fun planning that trip.

Prawning in Codville Lagoon
On our first night we had the traditional all-the-Dungeness-you-can-eat meal and then we had to start seriously foraging for food.  Our first stop was Codville where we introduced Tim and Jodi to prawning and crabbing.

Coho and Ling

Both Jodi and Tim turned out to be fine fisher people and we had great fun fishing.


Twenty-four Pounder
And then Tim caught a nice Chinook salmon.

And then it was time to sight see so we took the fishing boat to Kynoch which is also known as Fjordland.  It is splendid with towering black granite cliffs and beautiful waterfalls.





It was with sadness that we took them to the plane but I am quite sure that it will not be 45 years between visits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's been 6 months since those beautiful few days and I told Jodi that for some reason I've been getting strange, beautiful flashbacks of the quiet and the solitude and the ocean. And the food! (I will never again know of true joy till I eat one of Jan's english muffins again!) What a gift you gave us. The only downside is we miss you terribly. Love to all those Larsons!
Love & Peace,
Tim