Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Other Duties as Assigned


Mariner’s have long laughed that cruising is simply an opportunity to work on your boat in exotic places. Doug has experienced that first-hand tweeking of the diesel heat system, the dink suspension system, and the water maker since we left port.
A lesser told story is the first mate’s might opportunity to do laundry in new places such as Ucluelet. With a large supply of quarters, a load of laundry and a good book I headed up to the local Bubblemat for an afternoon of fun. The Bubblemat was a wonderful opportunity for people watching. Not unlike people watching at Heathrow . Just on a different wave length…hikers damp from the misty sea, young families vacationing, a skinny fisherman with bad teeth and a few fishing crew members. A rather weather beaten soul came up to me and asked how much it would cost to have me launder his clothes. Rather a change from my previous occupation…to be mistaken for a Laundromat employee.
http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.photo.gif
Add Image

2 comments:

erinz said...

Jan!
I am wiping away tears (I am laughing so hard - (with you of course, not at you!). Glad to know you are having a great time!

Drifters Travels said...

Erin,

I love hearing from you. Glad to hear that you are enjoying the blog. For a second time yesterday I was asked if I worked in the laundromat. I wonder if I have that still in charge attitude and have moved it to a new location!

Jan